Study Commitment

Study Commitment

Students admitted to a full-time program are expected to study full-time for their programs, and are cautioned that outside work commitments may impede their academic performance.

Internship & Employment During Study

During the Fall and Spring Terms, full-time taught postgraduate (TPg) students, both local and non-local, may engage in part-time employment for no more than 10 hours per week. Non-local students may only take up on-campus employment with HKUST internal offices/units or designated on-campus operators. No approval from the University is required.
During the Winter Term, non-local students may take up on-campus part-time employment of no more than 20 hours per week. There is no limit on the work hours and location for local students.
During the Summer period from 1 June to 31 August, both local and non-local students may take up employment without any limit on the work hours and location.
Full-time TPg students, both local and non-local, may take up study-related internship of no more than 40 hours per week throughout the year. Prior approval of the program director is required. For exceptional cases involving internship work of more than 40 hours per week, with strong justifications, case-by-case approval has to be obtained from the program director, Associate Dean (PG), and the HKUST Fok Ying Tung Graduate School. For non-local students, the approval of study-related internship is further subject to the specific Hong Kong Immigration Department restrictions as follows:

  1. Maximum duration: 1 year or 1/3 of normal program duration, whichever is shorter;
  2. During the internship period, the students must be officially registered students of HKUST; and
  3. The internship must start after the students have begun attending scheduled classes of the specified program in Hong Kong and end before they have finished their final year of study.

Non-local students engaging in employment or internship are required to have obtained the relevant No Objection Letter from the Hong Kong Immigration Department in advance.

Details on employment of non-local students during their study are available at the Career Center website.